question for dir people

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the most recent examples was the N.G. article on the Aquarius habitat. There's a shot of two biologists, one from the surface and one from the habitat. One of them has a standard "recreational" type rig, and the other (I'm guessing the surface diver) had a DIR setup with the primary looped twice around the neck. I'd have to visit our lab to skim the other articles that I've also noted this. I don't keep written documentation... sorry.

I hardly EVER troll.

dnj30:
if your bud is ooa and grabs your primary out of your mouth in a panic, won't it still be wrapped around your neck, potentially choking or at least straining you?

Short answer: no. Try it.

That is NOT a DIR setup, and I would be willing to wager good money that was not a DIR diver. Seriously, right now. Let me know how much you're willing to risk. You'd lose it.

Just because a diver is wearing a long hose no more makes him a DIR diver, than wearing split fins and an Air2 makes him a PADI resort-course trained rototiller.

I'm rolling double negatives tonite. I frequently equate technical divers and DIR divers as the same. I often forget that DIR is a method of diving. I need to write that down on our bathroom stall or something, else I'll never keep it straight!

A lot of people forget that one of the essential pieces of the long hose puzzle is the removal of the snorkel.

If you wear a 7 foot hose and keep a snorkel on your mask, your mask is going to get ripped off when a panicked diver takes your primary away.

thanks for info. first of all, i am newly ow cert--greener than green. right now i am all theory, no practice. i'm trying to gather as much advice and info from you guys as i can. i have a zeagle ranger ltd, tusa duo-air octo/infl combo, envoy deluxe 1st and 2nd(all of which have never been wet). my wife is buddy and she owns nothing, so that point is moot. the longer hose just seems to make sense to me to make it easier and less restrictive in ooa situation. could i use a retractor or rubber tubing to secure any extra length of hose? btw, is there anything wrong with adding a traditional octo to a set-up that has octo/infl combo. i realize it's overkill, but is there any other reason not to do it? thanks

Adding another octo complicates the issue for no extra benefit. Another hose, another reg to freeflow, more complicated OOA procedures.

Try the long hose without retractors and overcomplicating things first. You can always try to shove a little excess hose under a pocket or waist band. Make sure it's always accessible (IE don't run it *through* the waistband, just tuck the bend *under* the waistband) whatever you do. The idea behind that is you want it to be easy to re-stow after a practice drill or actual OOA situation.

Be sure you try this *underwater* and not above water. Things work differently underwater, so dive it and figure out what you need underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom