question for dir people

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
----You have a lot of plastic buckles as failure points. It's way too complicated and not streamlined. You don't have the proper number of D-rings in the right places.----

The use of plastic buckles does not automatically make for "failure points". Most of the "high-speed low-drag" SOG units use equipment with Fastex buckles. If there EVER was a situation where the equipment was SEVERELY abused, and yet where a failure was inherently dangerous, it would be that usage. Yet they rely upon them without question. I'm pretty sure we can too.

As for D-rings, you put them where you need them, to do the job you need to do. N'est pas, mon ami?

BJD :anakinpod

As Uncle Pug once pointed out, BC's are something of a special case.. especially when carrying doubles. A pair of steel tanks is a whole lot of weight, and with a Ranger almost all of that weight is going to be supported by a pair of fastex buckles.

Also, it only tanks one tank to tip over and fall on a buckle and snap it to force a Ranger to get sent in for repair.

jonnythan:
As Uncle Pug once pointed out, BC's are something of a special case.. especially when carrying doubles. A pair of steel tanks is a whole lot of weight, and with a Ranger almost all of that weight is going to be supported by a pair of fastex buckles.

Also, it only tanks one tank to tip over and fall on a buckle and snap it to force a Ranger to get sent in for repair.

I would have to agree with the most ancient and honourable Uncle Pug and yourself when it comes to doubles. I have not seen a BC that can effectively stabilize a set of doubles like a back-plate can.

As for the Fastex buckles, I have seen them take an AMAZING licking and keep on ticking, when even metal buckles twisted and failed. Nothing is "sailor-proof", however, if you torture it enough! :crafty:

BJD :anakinpod

P.S.---Sorry, I meant "guP elcnU" and "nahtynnoJ"!!!

DJB :biggrinpi

i started this thread last week and have learned alot reading all the replies. i've returned the ranger and octo/infl and have a bp/wing and long hose coming in the mail. looking forward to diving even more now. the one thing i will say to the other confused newbies out there like me is to keep an open mind and do alot of reading on this site. i can't remember reading one thread from someone who had a bp/wing set-up and switched to a bc. i read dozens of threads from people who did the opposite. that is what made my decision easy, along with alot of helpful advice from the other more experienced divers here. special thanks to jonnythan for patiently answering all my questions(as basic as they were) and helping me make an informed decision. thanks buddy, hope to dive sometime with you--dave

"i can't remember reading one thread from someone who had a bp/wing set-up and switched to a bc."

that's my findings as well. i stick with the BC b/c of the pockets (i am a wanna be photographer).

i think you made a great call

JPBECK:
Some people on this post sometimes give DIR advice --- but later when asked, they proffess that they are not DIR, as if to say that DIR is bad
Sometimes I read these threads just to see who is giving the DIR advice. :D

Uncle Pug:
Sometimes I read these threads just to see who is giving the DIR advice. :D

I guess you are right. We should probably stop listening to laymen like yourself and only accept advice from qualified GUE instructors.

Thanks for the sage advice as always. Probably saved a few lives there for sure. Off to read the Quest list instead. :crafty:

You have to gather info from the right source---some people give the advice --I will not name names cause I dont want to have to deal with stupidity--- but you can read it on this page! On one breath they give advice and on the other they profess thay they are not... How does this compute???

All I was telling the OG poster was to watch himself -If he wants DIR advice he should talk to a real DIR type or better yet a DIR instructor---It does not have to be GUE by the way!

JPBECK:
You have to gather info from the right source---some people give the advice --I will not name names cause I dont want to have to deal with stupidity--- but you can read it on this page! On one breath they give advice and on the other they profess thay they are not... How does this compute???

All I was telling the OG poster was to watch himself -If he wants DIR advice he should talk to a real DIR type or better yet a DIR instructor---It does not have to be GUE by the way!
It goes without saying that you take what you get on here with a grain of salt.

I for one would never profess to be an expert in DIR diving. I am only starting down that road myself but with my admittedly limited training I still feel safe in offering advice in areas I've had adaquate experience in (which isn't many).

I wouldn't be dropping advice out of the Tech manual that's for sure. That would be just irresponsible.

For example I felt comfortable answering a question on light routing and goodman handles. Why? Because I've used it and been taught how to use it right by an instructor (GUE and NACD)whom I feel IS more than qualified to instruct me in the rights and wrongs of it.

Just recognize that no one on here is perfect and you get what you pay for. (Did you notice this is free?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom