question for dir people

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i've asked quite a lot of questions on here, and i am surprised by the quality of
answers i get. not all answers are good, but i can tell the good ones because:

1. they don't make fun of the question or other answers but seriously try to address the issue;

2. they just don't say "this is so" but they also tell you "why."

3. the same people keep giving solid answers. you pick up on who knows their brown stuff fairly quickly.

4. the same people keep talking out of their you know whats. you pick up on who
doesn't know their brown stuff fairly quickly.

H2Andy:
"i can't remember reading one thread from someone who had a bp/wing set-up and switched to a bc."

that's my findings as well. i stick with the BC b/c of the pockets (i am a wanna be photographer).

i think you made a great call
Dont know if it is and not really caring if it is DIR (i also believe that H2Andy is not DIR) to have pockets, but you can get them for BP/Wings, in a variety of sizes from something big enough for a slate to big enough for a mask and all in between. If you want it, you can also get a weight integration system - i dont have one, but i know you can get them. I think all the main manufacturers produce some form or pocket, you can even get them on LP for a few pennies less than an LDS (+shipping). I have two pockets stowed on my waist band of my harness, they are far enough back, right by the BP that they are using up that dead space that most people have behind their D Rings and out of the way when it comes to streamlining - but they hold a variety of things really easily.

Damm you mean that bill I got in the mail--I didnt have to pay... Anyways you missed my point I said it at the begining ---this post should be moved to the DIR section---That way dumb as*es that like to Troll will be stomped out!

I give no advice on DIR unless one of my private students asks for it!

By the way I wasnt even refering to you as this is the first time I have had the pleasure to disscussing with you about anything. but I did take offense to the flame about
"I guess you are right. We should probably stop listening to laymen like yourself and only accept advice from qualified GUE instructors."

But I will get over it!

JPBECK:
Damm you mean that bill I got in the mail--I didnt have to pay... Anyways you missed my point I said it at the begining ---this post should be moved to the DIR section---That way dumb as*es that like to Troll will be stomped out!

I give no advice on DIR unless one of my private students asks for it!

By the way I wasnt even refering to you as this is the first time I have had the pleasure to disscussing with you about anything. but I did take offense to the flame about
"I guess you are right. We should probably stop listening to laymen like yourself and only accept advice from qualified GUE instructors."

But I will get over it!

No worries. I didn't think you were either. Just jumping in front of the bus in the name of free speech.

The flame was a joke.

Just getting one in on UP when I see a chance. He does it to me and everyone else enough! You have to seize your limited opportunities when they come along. :bash:

"(i also believe that H2Andy is not DIR)"

correct, although i think DIR is dead-on on a lot of things, and if there
were a "mostly DIR" category, i'd certainly fit into it.

"you can get [pockets] for BP/Wings, in a variety of sizes from something big enough for a slate to big enough for a mask and all in between."

correct again. with me, the issue was cost. when i bought my Oceanic, i could
get everything i needed (pockets wise) in one package instead of having to pay
MORE for a good tech rig and buy the pockets separately. i am talking about a
savings of over $300.00, which for me is considerable.

by the way, when it came time to buy my BC, i went to a local store to get help,
advice, etc. i could have gotten the BC cheaper on line, but bought it locally
because i wanted to support the excellent service i got and all the dumb questions
they answered.

H2Andy:
that's my findings as well. i stick with the BC b/c of the pockets
H2Andy:
with me, the issue was cost. when i bought my Oceanic, i could
get everything i needed (pockets wise) in one package instead of having to pay
MORE for a good tech rig and buy the pockets separately. i am talking about a
savings of over $300.00, which for me is considerable.
I thought you were trying to say that you didnt get a BP/Wings due to not being able to get pockets, hence that was my answer (I also saw this elsewhere in another thread by someone else asking about pockets), as for cost, well no real issue, i paid a little more to get pockets on mine and a little more to get a BP/Wings than i would have in some BC's and less than if i bought other BC's (the high priced "tech" ones) - but it was what i wanted and felt comfortable underwater in and i could customize it and give it a fresh doubles wing sometime in the future.

I also bought mine from an LDS, in fact almost everything so far, except a few books, a camera and now a computer (with warranty) - total around $1k, LDS sales and instruction around $4k, this is between my GF and i, and another $3k to go at least on our tanks, bands, manifolds, wings and AL BP. I have no idea how much more on other training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom