2011 SEC Football Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to disagree with you Mike. Auburn does what they've proven to do best... and that is come back. They got a slow start as their defense learned Utah. Once they got going it was over. Utah had no answer for their power at the end. My only big gripe was the field goal fake that Auburn let go by. Anyone that can do simple math saw that coming...

I am picking Alabama to take the SEC.
I do not think that the SEC has another Nat Champeenship in the tank this year.

But if the SEC does win all the marbles........
It would just be Hilarious.

Chug
GEAUX TIGERS!
(They have a slim, slim chance this year)

Who in the world decided on those hideous Georgia uniforms. No one could play decent football dressed like that! :vomit:

I thought Georgia would take Boise St but I admit I was way wrong.

My Gators won, in an ugly way, but a win is a win.

I have to disagree with you Mike. Auburn does what they've proven to do best... and that is come back. They got a slow start as their defense learned Utah. Once they got going it was over. Utah had no answer for their power at the end. My only big gripe was the field goal fake that Auburn let go by. Anyone that can do simple math saw that coming...

Auburn showed that it hasn't improved it's defense any since last year. Auburn's offense barely got on the field if you look at time of possession.

Auburn's defense was weak last year. It's weaker this year with the loss of Nick Fairly.

Auburn's defense gave up an average of 34 points per game last year. that's HUGE. It was only overcome by having Cam Newton and the offense being able to over score their opponents. Not having Cam anymore and the loss of Fairly just means the defense will have to improve a WHOLE lot or Auburn won't be heading to bowl games after Christmas. Auburn's prob got one of the toughest schedules in the NCAA this year. it's not going to be easy.

in regards to you saying "Auburn does what they've proven to do best", I can agree with that once again "they won ugly".

Who in the world decided on those hideous Georgia uniforms. No one could play decent football dressed like that! :vomit:

I thought Georgia would take Boise St but I admit I was way wrong.

yeah those uniforms were hideous. almost as bad as Oregon's green in the BCS title game last year and Boises BLUE shirts, Blue pants while on a smurf blue field. I find watching one of their home games painful.

I would have loved to see Georgia beat Boise just to shut them up. Now that they've beaten Georgia and they have a "cush" easy schedule the rest of the year, they'll most likely go undefeated and claim they need to play for the BCS title.

Yes they beat an SEC team, but there is no way they could play in the SEC every week.

Glad to see LSU stomp Oregon. I was worried about it earlier in the week with several of their players suspended after arrest. However, secondary quarterback Jarrett Lee did a decent job. :thumb:

Oregon is overated as I predicted. Boise is a force no one respects. LSU is going to lose at least 4 games this year because they play in the SEC. Wish they would move to the PAC12. EASY pickings.

GEAUX Tigers

from AP news reports:

LSU moves to No. 2, Auburn drops out of AP Top 25

Updated: Sep 06, 2011 2:46 PM CDT
By RALPH D. RUSSO
AP College Football Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - Winning the biggest game of college football's opening weekend boosted LSU to No. 2 in The Associated Press Top 25.

No. 1 Oklahoma held on to the top spot in the first regular-season rankings, while the Tigers used their 40-27 victory against Oregon to jump rival Alabama, which slipped to No. 3.

"It's way too early to feel like we have accomplished anything," LSU coach Les Miles said. "Our guys understand the need to improve each game."

The Sooners received 32 of 60 first-place votes and 1,448 points. LSU received 17 first-place votes and 1,415 points.

Alabama had nine first-place votes, and two voters had No. 4 Boise State top-ranked after the Broncos' impressive 35-21 win against Georgia. Florida State moved up to No. 5.

Oregon dropped nine spots to No. 13 and defending national champion Auburn, which started the season at No. 23, fell out of the Top 25 after needing a late rally to beat Utah State 42-38 at home.

The Tigers became just the second defending national champions since the preseason poll started in 1950 to fall out of the rankings after the first week of the season in the first regular-season poll - though the circumstances were far different the first time it happened.

Alabama, the 1964 AP champion, started the '65 season ranked No. 5. The Crimson Tide lost 18-17 to Georgia to open the season and dropped out, but The Associated Press only ranked 10 teams that season. Alabama eventually returned to the Top 10 and won another national title.

The 1961 Minnesota team is the only defending champion to be unranked in the preseason poll.

Moving into this week's rankings were No. 20 Baylor, which beat TCU 50-48, and No. 22 South Florida, 23-20 winners at Notre Dame.

"When you look at it, the one that I'm most concerned about is the last one," Bulls coach Skip Holtz said. "After the end of the year we'll talk about the rankings and all that because that's the only time it really matters. So what we've got to do right now is just focus on what we've got to do on a day-to-day basis."

Also ranked for the first time this season were No. 23 Penn State and No. 24 Texas. The Longhorns started the season unranked for the first time since 1998.

Penn State moves into the rankings ahead of Saturday's home game against third-ranked Alabama. It's the only game this week matching ranked teams.

TCU dropped 11 spots to No. 25.

Notre Dame and Georgia tumbled out of the Top 25 after losses. Like Auburn, Southern California, which opened the season ranked 25th, fell out of the rankings after a victory. USC squeaked by Minnesota 19-17.

The rest of the top 10 had No. 6 Stanford, followed by Texas A&M, Wisconsin, Oklahoma State and Nebraska.

No. 11 is Virginia Tech, followed by South Carolina, Oregon, Arkansas and Ohio State.

No. 16 Mississippi State and No. 18 Florida give the Southeastern Conference six ranked teams this week, matching the Big 12 for the most. No. 21 Missouri, joins Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Baylor and Texas.

The Big Ten has five ranked teams, with No. 17 Michigan State joining Wisconsin, Nebraska, Penn State and Ohio State.

No. 19 West Virginia and USF give the Big East two teams in the Top 25. The Atlantic Coast Conference (Florida State and Virginia Tech), the Pac-12 (Stanford and Oregon) and the Mountain West (Boise State and TCU) also have two ranked teams.

___

AP freelance writer Mark Didtler contributed to this report.

Week 2 of the AP Poll

SEC teams in RED

AP Top 25
RK TEAM RECORD PTS
1 Oklahoma (32) 1-0 1448
2 LSU (17) 1-0 1415 - up from #4 last week
3 Alabama (9) 1-0 1409 - down from #2 last week.
4 Boise State (2) 1-0 1310
5 Florida State 1-0 1196
6 Stanford 1-0 1154
7 Texas A&M 1-0 1033
8 Wisconsin 1-0 1031
9 Oklahoma State 1-0 981
10 Nebraska 1-0 947
11 Virginia Tech 1-0 906
12 South Carolina 1-0 843 - same as last week
13 Oregon 0-1 828
14 Arkansas 1-0 752 - up from #15 last week, replacing TCU which went to 25 after Baylor
15 Ohio State 1-0 606
16 Mississippi State 1-0 594 - up from #20 last week
17 Michigan State 1-0 530
18 Florida 1-0 382 - up from #22 last week.
19 West Virginia 1-0 357
20 Baylor 1-0 284
21 Missouri 1-0 242
22 South Florida 1-0 221
23 Penn State 1-0 147
24 Texas 1-0 135
25 TCU 0-1 130

Dropped from rankings: Notre Dame 16, Georgia 19, Auburn 23, USC 25

top25poll.jpg

Mike, you were too quick for my post :)

Back
Top Bottom